Re-using or Importing Material from Other Sakai Sites
When you create a new site in Sakai, you may reuse materials from other course or project sites you’ve previously created in Sakai. (Please note, student materials – such as comments in a forum, submitted assignments, etc. will not transfer to your new site – they all stay with the original site).
Contents of this guide:
- Import Materials into a Course Site
- Import Materials during Project Site Creation
- Checklist for Re-using Materials
Import Materials into a Course Site
Use this method to add materials from another, older course, into your new Sakai course site. Important: If you created an interactive syllabus or schedule with links to your Resources or other tools like Assignments, you will need to update these links because they point to your old course not your new one. Instructions for updating links can be found at the end of this help document.
1. Enter Site Info of the course in which you would like to import materials and choose Import from Site.
2. On the next screen, choose one of the following:
- I would like to replace my data: Use this option to overwrite the existing data with the imported data. This method allows you to import Gradebook settings. You will be able to select only one source site from which to import data. This is the recommended method for creating a course copy.
- I would like to merge my data: Use this option to merge the imported data with the existing data in your site. This method does not import Gradebook settings. You will be able to select multiple sites from which to import data. This method is especially useful when you need to pick and choose materials from another course site.
- I would like to merge my user(s): Use this option if you want to import the participants from another site. This method does not import roster-provided users. This is a way to add non-roster participants like course builders and outside participants into a new course easily.
3. Check the boxes to select the source site(s), and then click Continue.
4. Under the name of the site(s) you selected, check the box next to each tool that contains source material you want to import. If a box is grayed out, it means the corresponding tool was not enabled in that site. Then, click Finish.
Import materials during Project Site Creation
When you create a project site, you will be asked if you would like to re-use materials from other sites. Choose the appropriate course(s)and click Continue. Please see the screenshot below for more details. Note: You may also use the directions above to reuse site content after the project site is created.
Checklist for reusing course materials
Ensure that all dates for assignments, tests, announcements, etc. are updated in your new course. In many cases, the imported item is saved automatically as a draft or hidden until the new dates are entered. To update an item, enter the tool in question and locate the imported materials. Choose the Edit button under an item.
Choose new dates and update any other items as necessary. Click on Post to finish the edits.
When you update items that will be graded, decide whether it appropriate to create a new Gradebook entry or associate it with an existing one.